GOING HOME

One family's diary, journeys and thoughts

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Family matters

One of the best things about coming back to Armenia was rediscovering some of the relatives and old friends, people with whom we somehow failed to stay in touch. So, after losing each other for 9-10 years or more, we would meet again and discover new families formed, new kids born, some older people gone and yonger ones getting older... you know, the usual stuff. One of such pleasant rediscoveries was the family of my grandma's cousins (did I mention that Armenians, just like Greeks, often have a lot of cousins?) So, by Armenian reconing, their kids would be my uncles, and their grandkids - my cousins, right? (I think in the States they wisely call the whole lot "cousins" regardless of the generation, so if you get confused, call me - I'll explain to you again who is who.) .

The funniest part is, my uncles are only slightly older than I am, and their kids are much younger than me. Which is how Roxy and Vicky end up having 8- and 10-year old uncles.

Here I am with my uncles. Most serious lot, won't you agree?




Roxy playing snowballs with her uncles, with their parents looking on...


...and yes, my favorite - here I am playing table hockey wth my 10-year old cousin! Fun, fun, fun! I used to play with his dad way back when, and beat him, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home