GOING HOME

One family's diary, journeys and thoughts

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

On equal rights and other such

There is no better place to rub shoulders with someone and feel close to fellow humans, than public transportation. Especially if it is a minibus, packed far beyond its capacity, like it usually happens here in Armenia. Don’t know why, but anyway – this is not about transportation, this is about something else.

I couldn't help but overhear an interesting conversation today – a girl who was sitting right next to me was talking on the phone. In fact, I only really heard one side of the dialog, but as you will see in a moment, it wasn't hard to guess the rest. Here is how it went:

- I just asked your opinion on whether or not I should go…w hat do you mean by "do whatever you are well pleased?" I AM asking your opinion, am I not?
- …
- No, I haven't decided anything yet; I just want to know what YOU think.
- …
- Yes, I did reserve the tickets already, but…
- …
- Well, I expected you to say something like: "It's okay to go" or "I will go with you" or something…
- …
- You know, if my sister is asking me to come and stay a year in France with her, then it probably IS important, she wouldn't ask me for no reason.
- …
- You could come with me, you know. You have relatives there, too.
- …
- You can stay in a hotel…
- …
- Well, I am sorry for you if you can't afford it, but…
- …
- No, I don't always do, as I want. In fact, I usually do what YOU want me to do.
- …
- For example? For example, when you made me quit driving. I am riding a bus even as we speak, only because you asked me not to drive!
- …
- AND you asked me not to take taxis!
- …
- No, I can't ask YOU for a ride every time I need to go somewhere! You wouldn't like it either if I called you twenty times a day asking for a ride.
- …
- You know, my dad didn't like the idea of me driving, but even he finally gave me permission.
- …
- The point is, I do what you want me to do, so you can't say I don't. I even quit my job, so you can be cool like that and say, "My girlfriend doesn’t drive and she doesn’t work and stuff!"
- …
- So I listen to you!
- …
- No, I can't come right now!
- …
- No, you can't pick me up! I AM IN A BUS!!!
- …
- So what your grandma is coming, I can't come right now. You should have told me earlier she is coming.
- ……!!!!!!!!
- Fine, I'll go home, change and call you!

(End of conversation)

I could have commented volumes on this, because as it happens, I believe in equal rights and dignity and other such things. But I won't. I felt like asking that girl (a good-looking young lady of about 22-24) a few question, but I didn't do that, either. What's the point? The bus reached my house by then, anyway…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home