GOING HOME

One family's diary, journeys and thoughts

Sunday, November 04, 2007

More Funny Stuff

Hi everyone! What's up. Okay, some stuff from me. Another "funny stuff" installment. There will be more later...




There were these little buisiness card-sized flyers taped around our apartment building (and around the city) and I thought they were rather funny. Allow me to translate:

ONE NATION party
BEWARE OF JEHOVA'S WITNESSES
Unite around the Armenian Apostolic Church


In other news, as mom mentioned in the last post, our school had a fall festival on Nov. 2nd. There were the typical costumes you would expect to see anywhere in America--pirates, Supermans, Buzz Lightyears, Incredibles, princesses, Indians, witches, vampires, etc. Our class made a small haunted house. It didn't turn out quite as planned, as there were a few mishaps, but let's not go there. The evening was fun. And I'm not surprised that the Armenian girls mom brought with her wanted to go there. I suppose my school, though small, is more colorful and inviting than schools here. And for good reasons- what do you expect from a school that charges $15000 a year for tuition?

4 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Mariam said...

Yeah, talk about freedom of religion and speech and other such stuff. Not just Jehova's witnesses, but any religion and sect that is not Armenian Apostolic is having hard time in Armenia, including the good ole Protestant churches.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Ankakh_Hayastan said...

You can't shove religion down people's throats which I think is the reason for these churches not being very popular (even though I have known quite a few people who were evangelicals). I don't even think the Armenian Apostolic church is much more popular either. They may have high attendance but the people have no idea about their ideology. I don't know their take on Christianity either. I just like the smoke thingie and the singing during the services.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Mariam said...

It's incense (first of all) and yes, the question about religion is a can of worms - maybe we should have a separate post about it...

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Ankakh_Hayastan said...

Khounk...

I think the real ones are some sort of tree sap but my grandma used to used olive leaves - the tree sap ones were hard to get during the Soviet years. I still remember the smell wen she would occasionally bless the house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home