GOING HOME

One family's diary, journeys and thoughts

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Where on Earth are we?

Hello everyone,

A lot happened since we last blogged. For one thing, I finally quit my job. It was, if I may say so, a mixed experience - I worked with some very nice people, but the general atmosphere in the office made it very difficult to stay calm.

We did some traveling around Armenia – most important of all, Tatevik was finally taken to Tatev monastery, after which, in a way, she was named. It was a hard, six hour long tooth-chattering, stomach-wrenching kind of road, but it was, of course ,worth it. I will be posting some photos soon. Roxy and I did some challenging hiking in the mountains. It was fun!

Then, we sold our apartment… again. The new one, the one I was renovating last year. And now we are – guess where – in Europe! I am writing on a train in Germany, and can’t say when I’ll have a chance to post this.

Our first day of Europe travel turned out quite eventful. To start with, I had a lot of last minute things to do after I quit my job and got the money for the house. So, the packing was left, literally, to the last possible second. We packed in a hurry and left a whole lot for our relatives to sort out after we leave. We did catch our flight, which was at one point quite turbulent – I mean, really turbulent – and arrived in Munich early in the morning. Then, instead of renting a car as I was planning to do, we had to take a train, because my new driver license was not ready by the time I was leaving. In Armenia, you see, it’s a process to get your driver license. And it’s expensive!

Anyway, us taking a train started with us leaving Vicky behind. We didn’t understand the announcement in German, and by the time Roxy and I realized what’s happening, the train was moving away from the airport, leaving Vicky on the platform without money, phone or any idea what to do. You can imagine what a moment of panic we all had! Then, after we reunited, missed our train, and took the next one, we accidentally got into a first -class car and had to pay extra to stay there, because hauling all our suitcases across two cars to the already crowded second class while the train was in motion did not appear doable. So here I am, sitting in a comfortable chair with Germany’s picture-perfect countryside passing by, writing to you about our adventures.

Stay tuned for pictures!


Hi, Vicky here… yaya we are here in Germany and it’s too perfect too clean and too… iono too TOO. But it’s very pretty. We’ll probably go broke at this rate though.lol. a DOUBLE cheeseburger from Burger King (the size of my pinky by the way) cost 7 bucks.yaya, SEVEN and I swallowed it whole. It as miniature, pretty sad… that’s all for now folks.


Now its my (Roxy’s) turn. When we first arrived in Armenia, all I could say was, “I can’t believe we’re here!” So, upon our departure from Armenia, and after we landed in the Munich airport, my mom politely inquired if I had any “I can’t believe…” statements to make about the trip. However, by that time, we were all so jet-lagged and red-eyed, that all I could give her was a half-hearted laugh.
But we are here. And it’s a very strange feeling. We’ve been in Armenia for over two years! And the contrast adds to our wide-eyed amazement.
You leave a dusty, messy, trash-bloated Armenia and arrive in spotless, picture-perfect, separate-trashcans-for-paper-and-plastic-at-train-stations Germany. As described above, our first day was quite a way to introduce us to Europe, but I’m sure we’ll have some fun things to share as soon as we get some sleep and sort out our 11 pieces of luggage that we have been dragging along with us across the length and breadth of Germany…


Oh ya.. Vicky here. She’s right. Luggage, DUDE.. they tell me take ONE suitcase. I do. And also one carry-on. So HOW in the world did we end up with eleven pieces for three people I cant understand... and now I have calluses on my hands. Ow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home