GOING HOME

One family's diary, journeys and thoughts

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Assumptions, assumptions…

People do it everywhere. They make assumptions. And it’s always annoying. I should know, I’ve annoyed people myself by making assumptions about them. Here are a few we heard over these last couple of weeks:

- My ex-mother in-law (showing up at my doorstep with a load of food she cooked for the kids): “Well, you don’t like cooking, so I just wanted the kids to have this.”

Her information is just a little outdated - she was thinking about when I was 18, had a baby and was going to college. Yeah, I didn’t cook much then, especially because she was in the kitchen most of the time anyway…

- The guy at market who was selling nice sharp pocket knives we looked at: “Oh, come now, what do you need a knife for? You’ll end up stabbing someone and getting in trouble.”

U-huh, I do it in my free time - go around stabbing people. It’s a hobby of mine.

-A woman in a bus, who was right between us and some guys who got into a conversation with us about living abroad: “It can’t be that hard living in the States - look how young you look for you age.”

Jeez! Bite me!


One of my mom’s friends, warning me against a mutual acquaintance: “Watch out, she is going to sweet-talk you into selling that house to her for half the price.”

Right. And I was born yesterday.

My uncle, over the phone, after I told him about us horseback riding: “You guys are crazy, you could have fallen and broken something.”

Yeah. The pavement.

And so it goes, on both sides of the ocean…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home