GOING HOME

One family's diary, journeys and thoughts

Saturday, June 17, 2006

WHAT’S IN YOUR SAUSAGE? (by Roxy)

We went to a farmer’s market today. Then we passed by the meat area. That was something. There were whole pieces of meat shaped like pigs and stuff. Then there were pig heads and hooves lined up along the street. My favorite one was the head with the back facing us. You could see the brain and all the stuff inside the head. Then there were livers, guts, and such by the tubful, literally. Then we saw some sheep’s heads being sold. But the best part was a large, whole cow udder being sold in one of the mini marts. Vicky was ready to puke. She refused to look at the other pig heads sitting on the ground ( there was one more with the inner guts showing.) Sausages, anyone? Hopefully, my mom will get some pictures so you all can get grossed out. Well, that’s life here. No sense of sanitation. The guys just hold the meat with their bare hands. Good thing we don’t eat it raw! Did I mention they were bringing in huge legs of cows in the trunks of their cars? Only in Armenia…Have I grossed you guys out enough? I’ll write back later and report more disgusting goings-on. Oh, and sorry to all of you weak-stomached people. Bye 4 now!

Me again! I saw a store today called “Armo’s Shoes.” Classic, Huh? There are so many stray dogs here. The breeds are all so mixed that there are random looking dogs everywhere. I feel sorry for them. They are all so cute. One followed me once for a little while. Then it went away. Again, people are staring at us. Is it because we talk in English? Sheesh!! Oh, and I saw an African-American guy here. Before that, the only African-American things here were the mannequin dolls in the stores. And that guy was near the Marriott Hotel where all the foreign people are. Well that’s all for now, folks. More later.

NEW DO

Hello again! I went to a beauty salon today. We live two stories above one. Turns out the owner knew my grandma and my mom, and she’s the best in town. I needed a trim because I had split ends. I came out with a shampoo, trim, and blow-dry. Now my hair is straight!!! And I got all that for just $8.50. Haircut in Armenia, anyone? Yep, there’s another upside to coming here. Well, more later. I’ll tell you all about my sister’s expression when she sees my new do. Bye!

1 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Irina Petrosian said...

$8.50? In Armenia? Uh-oh. You were ripped off, sweety. Three dollars is the going rate, $3.50 with tip. But it's no surprise. Armenians always jack up the prices for non-natives.

Irina
www.armenianfood.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home