GOING HOME

One family's diary, journeys and thoughts

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Oops!

I had to call my friend the plumber again, this time to install a water meter. These are mandatory in every dwelling and there is a heavy fine for not having one.
He came, elegant as always, with his apprentice. They installed the meter and changed some of the pipes. Then they tried to turn on the water to check how everything works. There was no water. The building’s water was turned off.
-Try turning it on in the afternoon, - they told me, - and let us know if there are any leaks.
The afternoon came and still there was no water. Toward the evening I got suspicious and knocked on the neighbor’s door.
-Yeah, we have water, - he told me. We were only out for a couple of hours in the afternoon.
Hmmmm…
I had to call the guy again. It took him another couple of hours to arrive. By then, all my plans for the day had to be altered - we simply could not take a shower to leave the house.
-I still have no water, - I told him when he finally arrived.
-No way, - said he and tried to turn the water on. Nothing happened.
He stood there, puzzled, for a few minutes.
-Sorry to suggest this, - I finally ventured, - but are you sure you installed it on the right pipe? See, this one feels cold, there must be water in it, and you guys plugged it.
He looked, then turned to me and said:
-Oops!
They had to redo the whole thing. Made a mess all over. The funniest thing is, in the end he left offended.
-Next time call someone else, - was his parting comment.
But of course!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home